If you enjoy going off-grid, you know having the latest news updates and being able to call for help during an emergency makes the experience more peaceful. That’s why taking your portable solar panel charger with you makes sense.
A portable solar panel can charge a phone. Many are designed with electronics like smartphones, tablets, and portable batteries in mind. These panels typically have USB ports to connect your phone directly to the panel. Some allow you to charge multiple devices simultaneously.
If you buy the right type, you can keep more than just your smartphone powered. In this article, I’ll share the benefits of portable solar chargers. You’ll also read about the available options and how they make life more convenient.
How Long Does It Take To Charge a Phone With a Portable Solar Panel?
The time it takes to charge a phone with a portable solar panel depends on several factors. These include the size of the solar panel, the intensity of the sunlight, and the type and capacity of the battery in the phone.
Generally, it can take anywhere from a few hours to a day to fully charge your phone using a portable solar panel. However, if you buy one that’s suitable for your phone battery, it should only take about 2 – 3 hours.
You should check the product specifications of the solar panel and your phone to determine how long it will take to charge fully. If you’re unsure, a sales consultant will likely be able to help.
The Benefits of a Portable Solar Phone Charger
Using a portable solar panel to charge your phone has several advantages. Here are five benefits of a portable solar phone charger that are hard to beat!
Portable Solar Panel Phone Chargers Are Convenient
Charging your phone with a portable solar panel is easy and convenient. You can take it wherever you go and keep your phone charged even if you don’t have access to a power outlet.
Although they’re primarily for use during the day, an attached battery will allow much more convenience as you can store some charge for nighttime or rainy days.
Portable Solar Panel Phone Chargers Are Versatile
Your portable solar charger can be handy when you travel. Most are designed to charge more than just your phone. You can use them to power small electronic devices like tablets, cameras, laptops, and speakers.
Some portable solar panel chargers can also charge multiple devices at once. The versatility of this device makes it incredibly handy.
Portable Solar Panel Phone Chargers Are Dependable
Solar panels rely on the sun for power, so you can use your solar charger wherever you can access sunlight. The panels can stay charged with even the slightest amount of sunlight, although they might charge much slower depending on how much sunlight you get.
Still, this makes these chargers dependable during the day.
If your portable solar panel charger has a battery pack, it can store energy. You can use this when the sun’s down, or it’s raining.
Solar panels aren’t affected by power outages either. Overall, these chargers are dependable and reliable for keeping your phone charged while on the go or camping in the wilderness.
Portable Solar Panel Phone Chargers Save You Money
Your portable solar panel phone charger will save you money. It might not seem like much, but it adds up in the long run. You don’t have to store it when you’re at home. You can use your portable charger instead of a power point connected to the grid.
If you use your solar panel phone charger daily, you’ll realize what a valuable investment it is!
Portable Solar Panel Phone Chargers Are Environmentally Friendly
Since solar panels do not rely on the power grid or external fuel sources other than sunlight, they’re one of the most eco-friendly ways to generate electricity.
When using a grid-connected power outlet (sustainable grids excluded), you indirectly pollute the air every time you charge your phone.
Using a portable solar panel phone charger reduces your carbon footprint and helps protect the environment.
Different Portable Solar Panel Chargers and What They Offer
There are different solar panel chargers suitable for a wide range of needs. The most popular include ultra-compact chargers, waterproof chargers, and two-in-one chargers. Although they all do a similar job, some important nuance between each can tip the scales if you’re in the market for a portable solar panel charger.
Ulta-Compact Foldable Solar Panel Sheet Chargers
An ultra-compact solar panel charger is small, lightweight, and portable. It can fold for easy storage and carry it over your backpack while on a hiking trip or bike ride. These are typically much smaller and lightweight than other solar panel chargers. They’re ideal for powering cellphones, tablets, and portable batteries.
You’ll like these chargers if you’re a camper, hiker, or outdoor enthusiast. They’re efficient and have fast charging times. They’re compact, but they make a reliable power source.
Waterproof Solar Panel Power Bank Chargers
A waterproof solar panel power bank can charge your phone outdoors. These are designed to be water and moisture-resistant. They’re also rugged and durable, helping them withstand the rigors of outdoor use.
You can use your waterproof solar panel power bank in wet environments where traditional solar panel chargers may get damaged. These models are ideal for hikers, campers, and boaters.
Two-In-One Solar Panel Chargers
Two-in-one solar panel chargers typically come with a light source, allowing them to charge your device and provide some illumination.
Combined with their intended function, this makes them quite convenient for outdoor adventures. They’ll charge during the day and store power in a built-in battery to keep your lights on at night. You can also charge your phone during this time if you don’t get a chance during the day.
Most two-in-one solar panel chargers are waterproof, lightweight, and easy to move around.
Reasons Not to Limit Portable Solar Technology
Portable solar power is handy when you’re on the go, but you shouldn’t limit their use to outdoor excursions.
You can use your portable solar panels at home as they’re an eco-friendly and sustainable way to generate electricity at a fraction of the cost of expansive solar home setups.
I suggest investing in portable panels if you can’t afford to take your home off the grid. There are several ways you can use them:
- Charge your electronic devices: You can use your portable solar panels to charge electronic devices. This can be useful if you like spending time on your patio or experiencing regular power outages in your area.
- Power small appliances: If you buy a more extensive solar panel, you can power appliances like a fan, heater, or bar fridge. This will save you money. You won’t have to rely on grid electricity to keep cool or warm either. Your food will also stay fresh during power outages.
- Keep your yard lit and secure: You can use portable solar lights to keep your yard lit at night without adding to your utility bill. The lights will charge during the day and switch on when the sun goes down. Having lights around your house at night can make it easier to see and move around outside. Criminals are also less likely to target your home if they think they’ll be spotted.
- Store excess energy: If you want solar power at night, you can use portable panels to charge batteries. You can then use this electricity to go off the grid when the sun sets.
- Use it as a backup power source: If you live in an area with regular power outages, you can use portable solar panels and other technology as a backup. With the proper devices, your essential appliances will keep running. This can help you stay connected and prepare you better for an emergency.
Portable solar technology has many benefits. Here are more reasons to invest in it!
Portable Solar Technology Is Clean and Renewable
Unlike fossil fuels, solar energy is abundant. According to scientific estimates, the sun won’t die in our lifetime. It doesn’t produce harmful emissions either. This makes solar power a sustainable and environmentally friendly energy source.
If you buy quality solar panels, they’ll last for years. Once they’re spent, you can recycle them in an environmentally friendly manner too.
Portable Solar Technology Is Affordable and Accessible
Portable solar panels are relatively inexpensive. Other solar-power devices are also affordable compared to the cost of electricity from the power grid.
Although large solar panels are popular, solar panels and batteries can take multiple forms on different devices. Some power packs, generators, calculators, and even mobile phones run entirely on solar power.
They’re designed to be user-friendly, making it possible for anyone to use them. You can buy solar panels as stand-alone sheets or choose devices with built-in panels.
Solar technology has become incredibly accessible. They’re available from various retailers, and you can buy them online.
Portable Solar Technology Has a Wide Range of Applications
You can use portable solar panels for more than charging your phone and keeping a light or two on. Many different devices can run solar power, most of which are portable. This includes:
- Solar-powered generators
- Solar-powered water heaters
- Solar-powered refrigerators
- Solar-powered washing machines
- Solar-powered ovens
- Solar-powered lights
You can use a solar-powered generator to provide electricity to your whole house or small business. Solar-powered lights are available in many styles, including lanterns, floodlights, and string lights.
Solar-powered heaters are cost-effective and more efficient than gas heaters. You can use a solar-powered fridge and oven to go entirely off-grid for your food storage and cooking needs.
The Future of Portable Solar Technology
Solar technology is here to stay. With a future as bright as the sun, how could it not? Innovators have limitless ideas for using solar power to make our lives easier. Here’s what’s already available and getting better by the day:
- Solar Backpacks – use this backpack to power your small electronics on the go. Every step in the sunshine keeps built-in panels generating and your devices charged. There’s also plenty of room for your regular stuff.
- Solar Uniforms – the US and UK switched to solar uniforms to ensure their troops carry lighter. Nottingham Trent University found a way to embed miniature solar cells into the material. Now we have to wait for this to hit our local stores!
- Solar Cars – the foreseeable future predicts a massive shift toward solar cars. Many automotive manufacturers have already moved toward electric vehicles, and users are encouraged to use solar charger ports.
- Solar Water – solar panels that produce water seem far-fetched, but they exist. Hydropanels absorb air and turn it into a drinkable liquid. This invention is often used in remote and off-grid locations with scarce clean drinking water.
- Solar Trees – 3D printing and solar technology had a baby! It’s called a solar panel tree. These have tiny leaves that generate and store power so you can charge small appliances. You can use them indoors and outdoors.
Of course, many of these innovations will take years still to develop fully and maybe even longer before we see mass adoption. Still, the underlying technology behind solar energy could make life much easier in the not-too-distant future.
Portable solar panels especially strike a unique middle ground, giving you access to an abundant energy source, albeit with a few caveats.
Portable solar panels are helpful and convenient. You can use them to charge your phone while camping, going off the grid, or spending a relaxing afternoon on a boat. These panels can charge multiple devices and store excess energy for later use.
Solar energy is dependable, saves money, and is environmentally friendly. With the right portable panel, you can charge your phone fully in as little as 2 – 3 hours.
- LiveMint: 10 Technologies Shaping the Future of Solar Power
- Homesteading: 61 Solar-Powered Inventions That Will Change The World
- ZDNet: The 5 Best Solar Chargers That Actually Keep Your Devices Charged On The Go
Share this Post